Being involved in a car accident can be a harrowing experience. With so many commuters on the road traveling all over Arkansas and the entire country, predicting how and when a car accident will occur is practically impossible. There are all kinds of reason an accident could occur on the road, but there are also reasons which are much more prevalent than others. If you have been injured in a car accident, you should speak with a Fayetteville car accident lawyer. The lawyers at Gunn Kieklak Dennis, LLP are available to explain the common causes of car accidents in Arkansas.
The 5 Common Reasons for Car Accidents in AR
Car accidents occur across the state of Arkansas for a variety of reasons. However, there are five causes of car accidents in Arkansas that are more prevalent than others. These are:
- Impaired Driving – Impaired driving refers to operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, legal drugs, or illegal drugs. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 35% of crashes in Arkansas in 2014 involved alcohol. The NHTSA has also noted that 29% of those crashes in Arkansas involved a driver with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08% or higher. Blood alcohol content is a measure of alcohol present in an individual’s bloodstream.
- Distracted Driving – Modern vehicles often contain technology like navigation systems, televisions, phones, and many other forms of technology. These things can all contribute to distracting a driver just long enough for a car accident to occur.
- Speeding – There are several drivers on the road who fail to heed the posted speed limit laws. These drivers often weave through traffic recklessly endangering the motorists around them. Car accidents which occur at a high rate of speed are more often fatal.
- Adverse Weather – The weather in Arkansas can range from heavy rain and thunderstorms to snow storms and tornados. Inexperienced or overconfident drivers can cause car accidents by overestimating their ability to control their vehicle through poor weather. When faced with adverse weather, sometimes it is best to simply pull over and wait for it to pass.
- Fatigued Driving – Fatigued driving is more likely to occur among individuals who operate vehicles as a career. Truck drivers are often overworked by the company they are employed by to meet strict shipping deadlines. This can result in gruesome commercial vehicle accidents between trucks and average cars.
These are obviously not all the reasons why car accidents occur in Arkansas, and other causes are not listed here. Still, you may be able to file a lawsuit for other accidents.
Most Dangerous Intersections in Arkansas
When speaking about the frequency of car accidents, Arkansas is not high on the list in the United States. However, there are certain highways in Arkansas which can be just as dangerous as intersections in states with high accident rates. Here are some of the most dangerous roads in Arkansas:
- Intersection of 46th and Walnut (Rogers) – In the year 2015 there were 53 car accidents at this intersection.
- Intersection at College and Joyce (Fayetteville) – According to Fayetteville police, this is the most dangerous intersection in Fayetteville. Rear-end collisions are very common at this intersection.
- S. Highway 61 (Yarbro) – Three fatalities were recorded in the year 2016 on U.S. 61. The cause of all three fatalities were because of a driver crossing the barely visible and dashed centerline to collide with another vehicle.
- S. Highway 67 (Neelyville) – Route 67 generally has a significant amount of traffic. In 2016, there four fatalities on Route 67.
The cities in Arkansas where most car accidents occur are Forrest City, Jonesboro, Blytheville, Paragould, and West Memphis.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can be the cause of several different kinds of injuries. The magnitude of the car accident usually plays a role in determining the type of injury sustained. Here are some of the injuries which occur in car accidents:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Internal organ damage
- Severe bruises
The types of injuries that an individual can receive in a car accident are typically limited. Of course, it is always possible that a car accident victim may be killed in an accident. This can entitle the family and loved ones to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If you have been injured in a car accident, you should seek out medical attention and consider speaking with an experienced attorney.
Arkansas Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You Recover Damages for Your Injuries
The Fayetteville personal injury attorneys at Gunn Kieklak Dennis, LLP can help you and your family recover damages related to a car accident. Our firm of dedicated attorneys have served clients injured in car accidents, motorcycle accidents, commercial vehicle accidents, and many other causes of action concerning personal injury cases.
We have worked tirelessly for the residents of Fayetteville and would work tirelessly for you. To schedule a confidential consultation with a diligent and sharp car accident attorney, call Gunn Kieklak Dennis, LLP at 479-717-9068.